Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Upcycling with Joy - Regular Pants into Skinnies


Hello Fellow Thrifters and Friends,
   I am sure you all have at least one pair of pants in your closet that just don't fit quite right, but for some reason you can't get rid of them. Well I have had this pair of green pants in my closet for quite some time, but because I loved the color I never could seem to get rid of them. One great way to upcycle is to use what you have and make it something you will use more often. I decided to upcycle my pants by turning them into skinnies.
Not the best fit, but look at that cute soft green color. 
I started out by laying a pair of my favorite skinnies right on top of my green pants. 
I used a yard stick so I could mark the shape onto my green pants
Next I pinned the line to make sure my pants would not shift around while I sewed them together
 I sewed from the bottom of the pants up. Make sure you pin the bottom of your pants well, so the bottom looks finished.
***After you have sewed your pants try them on to make sure they fit. If you like how they look then proceed to the next step. I had to take my seems out a few times on one leg to make it fit nicely. Once you like the way your pants fit then you can proceed to the next step***

 Since I don't have a surger I used a zig zag stich all the way up my pants to help stop them from fraying when I wash them.
 After I sewed my zig zag stich I cut off the excess fabric
 These pants had two back pockets, which were fine with the before version of these pants. Now that I turned them into skinnies those pockets look big and bulky. I sewed them across and then used my zig zag stitch again to finish the edge. Then I cut off the excess fabric on each pocket.
You now have a lovely "New" pair of pants to wear
I can't wait to show you how I styled these pants. I was so excited to have "new" pants that I wore them the next day. 
Have you updated any of your clothes recently?
Smiles,


Pin It Now!

9 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! Have done it myself a few times and suddenly that pair of unworn trousers become the latest fav pair!
    I bet they'll get a lot of use now - i love the colour!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those turned out really well- maybe i can send you a few of my trousers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow thats pretty great.

    i'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely colour. I can see why you saved them.
    A nice transformation.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! So clever, will not overlook baggy pants when thrifting after seeing that xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very good idea! You have done it very skillfully. Now you can recycle your husbands pants & shirts for your use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The world's best EMT pants. Built of rugged, fade-resistant poly-cotton twill and loaded with user-driven features, 5.11®'s EMT pants have everything you've ever looked for in an EMT pant. Imported.


    ems pants | 5.11 emt pants

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wear a 38/30 should I get a l or xl pants size?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...